Golden (By Harry Styles)

Zayn’s “Golden” is about departure, reassurance, and enduring love. Harry’s “Golden” is about reconciliation, need, and hope. With centerpiece songs like “Intermission: Flower” and lyrics in Zayn’s “Golden” about his love for Harry only growing, it’s clear they had unfinished business to attend to, and Harry was encouraged to pursue their relationship after the band.

Yellow-Metal = Gold. It’s simple really. There is only one plausible reason Zayn chose to refer to himself (not just his rap title but also himself) as Yellow Metal. He was 1000% adopting his role in the Green & Gold unit, but also more specifically, he was adopting Harry’s latest term of endearment for him: Golden.

In Zayn’s “Golden” from 2016, he refers to their love (in vague terms) as being golden. However, in Harry’s “Golden” (his 2019 response to Zayn’s) he tells his lover that THEY are golden. Hence his excessive use of the color yellow (gold) during the promo of Fine Line:

Hence Harry saying “yellow” twice in his Beauty Paper Magazines interview:

Zayn = Gold This is something we’ve always known and have always called him. LITERALLY Green & Gold. Now all of a sudden we have Zayn calling himself Yellow Metal, straight up. You know, everyone (including some Larries and other non-Zarries) conceded that From The Dining Table could be about Zayn because the lyrics were so spot-on and obvious. So this time, Harry made it beyond clear for us all, yet people are choosing to ignore it.

Once we understand that Harry’s “Golden” is by far the most direct and undeniable Zarry proof there is, gifted to us straight from the horse’s mouth in 2019, only then can we truly appreciate what this song means, and how courageous an offering it was on Harry’s part.

Vulnerability reigns here, first and foremost, as Harry admitted in his Beats 1 interview with Zayn Lowe. (22:30)

He said as soon as he wrote it, he instinctively knew it was Track One. He even said it’s the perfect PCH song (Pacific Coast Highway is a highly scenic stretch of road in California) and that when he cruises down the PCH, he listens to this song.

She actually made an appearance in Chapter 37 of This Thing Upon Me when he was writing “Sweet Creature” in the car! πŸ™‚

Harry is so sentimental. Him doing this is such a heartfelt sentiment when you think of how inextricably this song is tied to Zayn. It’s almost like he’s imaging them together in this beautiful tranquility. He wanted and needed “Golden” to be first up on the tracklist, and this is a far greater indication of who the album is about than an admittedly unrelated voice-note admittedly tagged onto the end of a finished song in post-production.

For me, the placement of this track informs the listener precisely who and what this album will address. It’s about Harry’s quest to find himself, and in the process hopefully regain Paradise Lost. Paradise = the man he loves without limit. His world. His absolute muse.

“Flanked by fields of sunflowers, hand in hand we walk. As the gentle sound of nature surrounds us while we talk. The sunflowers give the scenery a warm and golden hue….a garden winds around the house and daisies poke through grass… Imagine someone loving you that much. You can’t. You simply can’t.

Side Note: Gigi likes to call Zayn her “muze” and I find that laughable. In what way is he her muse? From what we’ve seen, she doesn’t truly understand that notion, nor does she execute it in any convincing way, which Harry has done since he was at least 18. For her it’s just another wannabe-cutesy thing to comment on social media to have people fawn over their relationship. There is no meaningful substance to that claim.

She is a poser when it comes to pretending to be obsessed with Zayn (trying to mimic Harry’s passion) and nothing bears that out more than the way Harry has truly sacrificed and capitulated for this man for nearly 10 years (including watching him be with other people in public, and resorting to his art to express how he feels about him. That is bona fide unconditional love. A notion Gigi clearly struggles with, since her support of Zayn is selective at best, and her relationship with him is a glorified transaction—an exchange of questionable currencies.)

PAGE TWO: MORE “ZAYN” EASTER EGGS

February one
4 months ago

This is so beautifully written.
I have said numerous times that I don’t always agree with everything you say all the time but as a reader I have mad respect for your writing. Entertainer is a good example. I used to feel that you struggled with the possibility that it could be about Harry when I have always felt that it is about him. Unfortunately I am one of those people that see things as they are whether I like it or not and have an incredibly open mind. That is why I can delve in the other ships if or when I want and not be perturbed. I do so hoping that there is no Zarry as I don’t want my two favorites to hurt so much but what they write make no sense. They make Zarries seem super intelligent. I have even come to the conclusion that even if there is no Zarry and this is all about money and keeping fans et cetera I will not feel bad because H and Z would be the ones wasting their lives giving clues/ lies instead of concentrating on those they really love and appreciate. This brings me to the fact that it must be real or they would be literally living on a stage every morning they wake up. Can’t wait for you to come around to seeing even more from my point of view. Love you AD

Sandi Priest
Sandi Priest
4 months ago

This is GREAT AD! I just love everything you write! I really do not believe any nonsense about Hadids holding something over Zayn. He is free to do as he pleases which is why I think he is a COWARD. What’s he afraid of? If he was with Harry his music career would probably be 1000 times more successful! He’s got nothing to lose in my eyes by being with Harry. His career is in the toilet because he doesn’t promote or tour. So go be with H already! But he doesn’t do it. It is all on him and no one else. I too am tired of seeing Harry sad, depressed, lonely etc. and I do think with the help of his therapist he’s trying to let go of Z, but he is addicted to that relationship just as Z is addicted to it (albeit the physical aspect). H is addicted to what once was. How can he continue to pine away for someone who treats him this way and has for so many years? Not normal. I truly believe that little by little H is moving away from him. I pray for this for that wonderful human being. I pray he finds peace and happiness and one day has his own beautiful family. β€πŸ™

Anita
Anita

HAHAHAHAHAHAH the *metaphor* I’m dying πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ™ŒπŸ»πŸ™ŒπŸ»πŸ™ŒπŸ»

Queen. Everything you say is gold.

Zarry documentaries is my new religion and this page is my church.

Jamie
Jamie
4 months ago

I’ve always wondered when they reference the light if they’re meaning the light at the end of the tunnel. Like we know it will be hard and at the front all we see is the obstacles but just look farther once we get through those in the end it will be worth it. And then for H’s Golden video he’s in a tunnel.

It’s almost as if H’s album should be titled NIL or Zayn named it in response to FL. Yes Z hints but like you said H is the one that is direct. NIL is listening about Golden, Sunflower Vol 6, Adore You. More people need to read your posts AD and then maybe they’ll listen : )

Taandem34
Taandem34
4 months ago

great post and well written as always. h&z need to let each other go i mean if they cant even find their way to each other how the hell will they ever stay together. dont think z will ever leave current situation no matter how obvious he cares so little about it cause it safe cover and g can do all work to make it look real. i thought we going to see a brand new z after YM but he just back to hiding. leaking a demo or two doesn’t mean squat (and if h&z really throwing each other clues than stop dammit S.T.O.P. we all weary) z find yourself a dick is my religion necklace and proudly come forward know it will be damn hard cause you dug the hole so deep but we ALL support you like we support anyone with courage to speak their truth. honestly think h finally moved on at this point but he may still want nothing more than to walk the MP premiere with z by his side.

angiev
angiev
4 months ago

Great post as usual. You always see things I don’t and make the subject even deeper. Maybe it’s things in my own life but I just feel sadness about the situation for so many reasons. It’s the star crossed lovers deprived of each other and their love movie. Their story could be a movie–a very sad one. We all know why Harry wanted to do My Policeman.

Anna-Lena
Anna-Lena
4 months ago

“lemon over ice” (adore you) apparently is a term to describe a hot asian person… just sayingπŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰

Rhonda
Rhonda
4 months ago

AD – this is amazing! It took me forever to read because I was crying or laughing too hard to see. Someone get this to Zayn ASAP!

I feel overwhelmed with emotions right now. I can’t even imagine how painful all of this is for Z & H.

4 months ago

So I agree with almost everything you said but in yellow metal Zayn gave me the impression that Harry might have already left him or they are not on good terms and haven’t been. Even when Harry sang on the IHeart Radio Jingle Ball he performed golden he changed the lyrics to β€œI hope someday I can be open. And I know that ur scared because I’m so open”. But that was the time he rumored to have started dating Olivia. Even tho Holivia seem very PR to me he could have told left Zayn around the same time. It all seems around the same time. Baby, Olivia, Harry and Zayn start throwing clues they are not in a good place.

Jan
Jan
4 months ago

Some weird things are happening at the moment ! Safaa Zayns sister has posted a collage of photos on Instagram wishing her Dad Yaser a happy Fathers day .The last one is of a very young Harry and Yaser .Why would she do that?

Hollie
Hollie
4 months ago

I love you A.D but I’m staying out o FCC it, simply cause Zayn isnt going to do right by Harry and I’m annoyed with it. I do agree that Golden is so under appreciated it’s one of my favs off Fine Line. But I do love your discussion boards so thanks

Beulah De jager
Beulah De jager

Found this on Twitter

Screenshot_20210620-182425_Twitter.jpg
Angela Stathis
Angela Stathis
4 months ago

Reading this (or any other of your analysis) makes sense to me almost (lol) every single time..

I don’t know and I don’t care what and if Hadids have a hold at Z or whatever and even if I love Z to pieces – as I have mentioned a numerous times- I just hope that Harry will start to live his life as HE really wants… Z will always be the love of his life (and nobody can convince me otherwise), but life goes on…

-As a zarrie though (double lol) I really hope that they end up together at some point, preferably sooner that later…

Last, but not least, I’m very glad that you continue the Neon Red by Z’s perspective considering your pov about Z – regarding Harry and I really loved the first chapters…

Wtj99
Wtj99
4 months ago

I really don’t want to make excuses for Zs behaviour as it is very frustrating . But we still need to accept that H has been pursuing him relentlessly …..there has to be a a reason for this kind of love that I have only read about in books .I think their love/bond is something which cannot be understood by any of us completely .If H is still waiting then I do belive that their connection is otherworldly .And just think how much we zarries hurt seeing their situation . I can’t imagine the amount of pain these both must be going through especially H. Even if z is at fault ….he must be frustrated with himself , must be loathing himself for his unwillingness to be open and silently watching his lover suffering .I just hope and pray that they find thier way back to each other and if not then a reasonable closure .

4 months ago

Even I can feel Harry’s heartbreak. I hope zayn is reading this. Especially page 3

Vanessa
Vanessa

Amen sister!!!

4 months ago

Ok. I laughed then I cried. You are right..honey Zayn if you can’t be with him. Just please let him go. I know how difficult it is to accept your sexuality when you are from a brown family. So I really sympathize u on high level. And I understand his needs of showing up as a hetero man. But Zayn you need to let Harry go. You are literally using him. If you loved him ever just let go. He deserves better and deserves someone who would love him as much as he loves you. And lastly Zayn’s golden and Harry ‘s golden hence proved it’s zarry. Whoever tries to tell otherwise is an absolute fool

MariaV
MariaV
4 months ago

The amount of green and gold Gigi has been wearing or posting randomly is annoying. She is either1) trying to claim it for herself, 2) openly trying to piss off zarries or 3)she is acknowledging Z was never really hers to begin with. The sunflower flower pot last week is a whole different story…

Ad's fan
Ad's fan
4 months ago

I think harry should move on I mean there is nothing left for him zayn will always be with a woman I just know he is not going to change and harry should Stop waiting I don’t think wait is worth it…..
I mean just look at him how can you hurt such an innocent soul…..

IMG_20210226_044401.jpg
ali
ali
4 months ago

I fell asleep listening to sleep story the other night, I woke up during – had an episode of sleep paralysis which is common for me – and just listened to the rest. I heard the bit about the sunflowers and daisies.

I just went to how perfect that story is for Harry and Zayn. I’m glad you mentioned it here, I thought I was the only person who heard it.

4 months ago

Ugly stag tattoo vol6.. 🀣🀣🀣🀣 please someone stop me. My mom literally scolded me for laughing out so loud πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

I liked it.

HS2 Golden is very sad and depressing.

Glad you are seeing that.

Hope ur good day

Mary
Mary
4 months ago

This post is just so good. You really are such a gifted writer and deep thinker. It is just brilliant how you uncover the way Harry expresses himself in his music and makes himself so clear about who he is and who he loves.
Btw ugly stag tattoo vol.6 made me laughπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚